Parents can voice their opinions on evitable school district cuts.
WBNS reports that Columbus City Schools are facing over a $20 million budget shortfall which will result in cuts in programs, supplies, and staff.
“My main concern is what’s going to happen in the district over the next 5 years,” parent Phil Calloway said.
School officials blame the state which has given them $100 million less a year than anticipated. CCS is predicted to hit a $224 million shortfall in the next five years.
“With cuts of this magnitude everything is on the table and the board and staff are turning over every single rock, we’re considering every program and every position. Everything that is not required by state statute we are looking at to potentially consider for reduction,” Columbus City School Board President Gary Baker said.
District officials encourage parents to come out and share their feedback on the list of cuts being proposed. Many of the parents who attended the last meeting were told that feedback will be considered and could be implemented.
There are three more forums planned for this week:
- Tuesday – Marion-Franklin High School – 6-8 p.m.
- Wednesday – Columbus Africentric Early College – 6-8 p.m.
- Thursday – Starling Pre-K-8 – 6-8 p.m.
Smarty Pants: 12 Black Celebs Who Attended Ivy League Schools
1. Tyra Banks- Harvard University1 of 10
2. John Legend- University of Pennsylvania2 of 10
3. Aisha Tyler- Dartmouth College3 of 10
4. Bob Johnson- Princeton University4 of 10
5. Hill Harper- Brown University5 of 10
6. Angela Bassett- Yale University6 of 10
7. Ryan Leslie- Harvard University7 of 10
8. Courtney B. Vance- BA from Harvard University; MFA from Yale University8 of 10
9. Joy Bryant- Yale University before dropping out to become a model.9 of 10
10. Brian White: Dartmouth College10 of 10