The Students of the Year initiative is a leadership development program for students attending high school. During the process, students learn various skills that help them grow in the areas of business, marketing, and managing projects in order to raise funds for the society. The top local fundraisers become eligible to win the national title. Money raised will be in honor of a local patient hero who is currently battling or is in remission from blood cancer.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Central Ohio Chapter has 22 candidates who have signed up for Students of the Year®– a competition, where they raise funds to support more than 1.3 million blood cancer patients in the U.S.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
“It’s amazing to watch these young men and women work so hard to fundraise and help us cure cancer,” said Breana Shawver, LLS’s Columbus Chapter Executive Director. “Students of the Year resonates with Generation Z, who want to leave their mark in the world. As the world’s largest nonprofit dedicated to fighting blood cancers, LLS has a legacy of innovating in the fundraising category and Students of the Year is our newest addition. The one-of-a-kind program brings together students from diverse backgrounds and experiences who are compassionate and driven to reach their own personal fundraising best.”
For additional information on this program visit lls.org/lls-newsnetwork.
Did You Know These Celebrities Are Cancer Survivors?
1. Robin Roberts -Diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007Source:Getty 1 of 8
2. Colin Powell -Diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 40.Source:WENN 2 of 8
3. Robert Deniro - Diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer in 2003Source:Getty 3 of 8
4. Wanda Sykes - Diagnosed in 2011 with early stage breast cancerSource:Getty 4 of 8
5. Hoda Kotb- Diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010Source:Getty 5 of 8
6. Ben Stiller- Survived prostate cancer after being diagnosed in 2014Source:Getty 6 of 8
7. Mr. T- In 1995 was diagnosed with T-Cell LymphomaSource:Getty 7 of 8
8. Betsey Johnson - Diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999Source:WENN 8 of 8
- Erica Campbell & Roland Martin To Host Urban One Honors May 16th On TV One
- Drop The Mic: TD Jakes Explores The Power Of Words In New Book [EXCLUSIVE]
- The Columbus Crew advanced to the Concacaf Champions League
- Indianapolis Mass Shooting At FedEx Facility Leaves 8 Dead, Gunman Takes Own Life
- Gorillas of Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Are Going to a New Home
- WATCH: What You Need To Know — April 16, 2021: Defense Rests in Chauvin Murder Trial — Black Voters Matter — Stay Alive At A Traffic Stop
- Wake Up & Win With Dr. Willie Jolley: Leave The Drama With Your Mama [VIDEO]
- Why The Nation And White House Need To Prioritize Reproductive Justice
- Michael Jordan Will Induct His ‘Little Brother’ Kobe Bryant Into The Basketball Hall of Fame
- Franklin County Moves Up to Level 4 (Purple) on Ohio’s COVID Map
- Savannah And Zhuri James Are Melanin Queens In Gorgeous Mommy And Me Photo!
The Central Ohio Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Kicks Off Student of the Year Campaign was originally published on mycolumbuspower.com