Wednesday was a scary day for students and staff at South Mifflin Elementary School after a gun was found at the Columbus school.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
A teacher took immediate action after she received a tip that there was a weapon in her classroom and it was being used to threaten students. The classroom was evacuated and officials came in and worked with the Safety and Security team to find and remove the gun.
South Mifflin Elementary School Principal Pamela D. Eberhardt-Horton sent a letter home with students stating, “Columbus City Schools has a Zero Tolerance policy on possession of any kind of weapon. Students will face disciplinary actions, including the potential of suspension or expulsion, if found to be in possession of any item deemed potentially dangerous to themselves or others in a school environment. The consequences of having a weapon outside of school can be even more extreme. Whether in the neighborhood or at home, young people need to understand the dangers of having a gun, taser, or other type of weapon – even fake ones that look real. We need families to have thoughtful age-appropriate conversations about gun violence and warnings about what is not acceptable to bring to school. I also encourage you to remind your child that if they see something, they should say something.”
No word on if the owner of the gun has been located or what further action will be taken.
Columbus City Schools has a new anonymous hotline to report safety threats to schools or students. If you see something say something and call 1-844-SAFER-OH
Radio One and Nationwide Children's Hospital #OnOurSleeves
1. Radio One and Nationwide Children's Hospital #OnOurSleevesSource:Radio One Digital 1 of 4
2. Radio One and Nationwide Children's Hospital #OnOurSleevesSource:Radio One Digital 2 of 4
3. Radio One and Nationwide Children's Hospital #OnOurSleevesSource:Radio One Digital 3 of 4
4. Radio One and Nationwide Children's Hospital #OnOurSleevesSource:Radio One Digital 4 of 4
- GRIFF’s Prayer: Stuck On The Elevator [VIDEO]
- Faith Walking: Turn The Light On [VIDEO]
- Meghan McCain Wants You To Know Her Father Suffered More Than Migrant Children Dying In Detention Centers
- Watch: Tasha Cobbs Leonard NPR Tiny Desk Concert [VIDEO]
- Houston Texans Quarterback Deshaun Watson Baptized In Israel’s Jordan River
- James Fortune Releases New Single & Preps Lyric Video For “I Am”
- Erica Campbell, Jonathan McReynolds & More Play Game To Guess Gospel Artists Runs [VIDEO]
- Listen: Dee-1 & Jonathan McReynolds Team Up For New Song, “The One”
- Eva Marcille Shares She’s Having A Baby Boy
- Get Up & Move Exercise Of The Week: Dawn Strozier Shows Us Four Lower Body Moves To Tone Up Your Body [VIDEO]
Gun Found in South Mifflin Elementary School Classroom was originally published on mycolumbuspower.com