London Fashion Week just wrapped but not without controversy since Burberry thought it would be “fashionable” to put a hoodie on their runway with a noose hanging from the neck area. Yes, a noose!
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
The difference this time is that social media didn’t have to come for the designer’s neck, one of the models in the show named Liz Kennedy complained about it but when her stance wasn’t met with empathy the model took to social media to show her disdain. Kennedy claims that when she initially mentioned how this hoodie could be socially and racially offensive she was told: “it’s fashion”. Kennedy also said that the noose was joked about with staffers and hung from the ceiling before the show in a laughable manner.
Burberry’s chief creative officer and designer Riccardo Tisci apologized and said “While the design was inspired by a nautical theme, I realize that it was insensitive. It was never my intention to upset anyone. It does not reflect my values nor Burberry’s and we have removed it from the collection. I will make sure that this does not happen again, I am so deeply sorry for the distress that has been caused as a result of one of the pieces in my show on Sunday.”
Burberry isn’t the first fashion house to be chastised for creating a garment accused of being racially charged. Most recently Gucci was in the spotlight for a sweater that resembled blackface, Katy Perry also had shoes that resembled blackface, and Prada had bag charms that were blackface figurines as well. All have since apologized as well.
- Justice For Anthony Lowe! Outraged Family, Activists Ask Why Cops Needed To Shoot Double Amputee
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Falsely Claims CRT Teaches Racism And 1 Illinois School Got $5.1 Billion To Spend On Diversity
- Pickerington School Evacuated and Closed After Campus Suicide
- AOC Rips GOP’s ‘Racism’ After Ilhan Omar Removed From Committee By House Republicans ‘Targeting Women Of Color’
- Russ Parr’s Black History Moment: John Mercer Langston
- ‘Nothing More Insulting:’ Sharpton Calls Tyre Nichols Beating A Disgrace To MLK’s Legacy
- 19 Keys On The Power Of Self, Black Wealth And The Future Of AI
- D.L. Hughley’s Black History Quiz? | The Daily Show
- Russ Parr’s Black History Moment: Carter G. Woodson
- Arena Football League is coming back making it possible for The Destroyers to return
Burberry Apologizes for Hoodie with Noose on Their Runway was originally published on mycolumbusmagic.com