Many people separate style from real life, but I compartmentalize differently. For me, style is life and life is style. God, who made everything, is the greatest stylist of all!! Get the parallel?
Follow Me at @AprilWattsLive For More Fashion Ideas & Style Tips
The other night as I got dressed for dinner, I was reminded that while accessories enhance one’s look, they do not compensate for the outfit itself. Even with statement jewelry, like my earrings from Venus Visuals, the foundation (your outfit) must be intact. Such is life – nice clothing and other material possessions are merely accessories and do not compensate for deficits of the soul. They function as illusions for those at a distance and a temporary fill to a personal void.
Coco Chanel said it best: “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”
Whether planning an outfit for the day or mapping out your life, adornment doesn’t compensate for lack of a solid foundation. You must style yourself from the inside out.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
PHOTO SOURCE: Rodney Choice / April Watts
Who Was Haute And Who Was Not At The 2017 Met Gala
1. The Met Ball 2017 theme was Comme De Garcons, the work of avant-garde designer Rei Kawakubo, who Pharell’s wife Helen is wearing.1 of 22
2. John Legend and wife Chrissy Teigen2 of 22
3. Solange in Thom Browne3 of 22
4. Wiz Khalifa is blazin’4 of 22
5. Diddy and Cassie5 of 22
6. Selena Gomez and The Weeknd6 of 22
7. Can you ID everyone in this bathroom selfie?7 of 22
8. LaLa Anthony looks gorge. She has a ring on every finger, except her ring finger!8 of 22
9. Ruby Rose and Donald Glover9 of 22
10. Rihanna stays slayin’ and on theme, too.10 of 22
11. Rita Ora11 of 22
12. Serena Williams pretty and preggers.12 of 22
13. A$AP Rocky and Ashton Sanders13 of 22
14. Mary J. Blige14 of 22
15. Naomi Campbell and British Vogue Editor-In-Chief Edward Enninful15 of 22
16. Halle Berry in Versace.16 of 22
17. Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez17 of 22
18. Jaden Smith and yes, those are his locs in his hand…18 of 22
19. Tracy Ellis Ross on theme.19 of 22
20. Janelle Monae, slay!20 of 22
21. Future in custom H&M21 of 22
22. Miss Lupita22 of 22
#LifestyledByAprilWatts: Accessories Don’t Make The Outfit Or The Person was originally published on elev8.com