The ’80s are back!
Okay, not exactly… You won’t rush home to watch The A Team or Miami Vice. You won’t stop at the nearest payphone to call the person that just paged you. And, thank goodness, you won’t need activator to keep your Jheri Curl moist. But you will enjoy the revival of 80’s fashion.
Follow Me at @AprilWattsLive For More Fashion Ideas & Style Tips
Eighties redux is one of the hottest fashion trends for Spring/Summer 2017. I’m not talking about 80s influenced fashion either. Designers have fully committed with everything from sequins and shoulder pads to stonewash and neon colors.
I’m excited because the 80s is one of my favorite eras of fashion. It was fun and free. It doesn’t get much more fun than this vintage jumpsuit with sequin detail around the empire waist. I contrasted the royal electric blue with red and white vintage clip-on earrings.
Keeping with the 80s theme, I added my black Valentino sunnies (starting at $290) from their Rockstud collection—a modern and more upscale play on the spikes and studs worn on accessories back in the day.
I finished off the look with my tribute to Carrie Bradshaw. For many reasons, I feel like the black version of that character from Sex And The City – including her love for 80s fashion. The SJP Wittman’s by Sarah Jessica Parker scream 80s.
Enjoy 80s redux but be sure to balance your look with one or two modern pieces to avoid looking like you’re playing dress up or wearing a costume.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
PHOTO SOURCE: Rodney Choice / April Watts
Who Was Haute And Who Was Not At The 2017 Met Gala
1. The Met Ball 2017 theme was Comme De Garcons, the work of avant-garde designer Rei Kawakubo, who Pharell’s wife Helen is wearing.1 of 22
2. John Legend and wife Chrissy Teigen2 of 22
3. Solange in Thom Browne3 of 22
4. Wiz Khalifa is blazin’4 of 22
5. Diddy and Cassie5 of 22
6. Selena Gomez and The Weeknd6 of 22
7. Can you ID everyone in this bathroom selfie?7 of 22
8. LaLa Anthony looks gorge. She has a ring on every finger, except her ring finger!8 of 22
9. Ruby Rose and Donald Glover9 of 22
10. Rihanna stays slayin’ and on theme, too.10 of 22
11. Rita Ora11 of 22
12. Serena Williams pretty and preggers.12 of 22
13. A$AP Rocky and Ashton Sanders13 of 22
14. Mary J. Blige14 of 22
15. Naomi Campbell and British Vogue Editor-In-Chief Edward Enninful15 of 22
16. Halle Berry in Versace.16 of 22
17. Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez17 of 22
18. Jaden Smith and yes, those are his locs in his hand…18 of 22
19. Tracy Ellis Ross on theme.19 of 22
20. Janelle Monae, slay!20 of 22
21. Future in custom H&M21 of 22
22. Miss Lupita22 of 22
#LifestyledByAprilWatts: How To Repurpose 80s Fashion In 2017 was originally published on elev8.com