Today we celebrate the birth of Al Green as he turns 71 years young today! We wanted to share some of our favorite Al Green song’s and facts that you may not have known!
Did You Know: Al Green Facts You May Not Have Known
- Green was born in Arkansas to a family of sharecroppers. His birth name was Albert Greene.
- He formed a Gospel quartet in the mid-1950s with his brothers. They were called the Green Brothers. Al was kicked out when his father caught him listening to Jackie Wilson.
- He cut his first single as Al Green and the Soul Mates on a label, Hot Line Music Journal, founded by his high school friends, Curtis Rogers and Palmer James.
- In October 1974, Green brought home two woman he had been seeing: his sometimes girlfriend Mary Woodson, and a stewardess named Carlotta Williams. It didn’t go well, and when Green took a bath, Woodson poured the boiling grits she was making on him, inflicting second degree burns to the singer. As Williams tended him, Woodson killed herself with his gun. Green, who became a born-again Christian in 1973, interpreted this as a sign from God to join the ministry.
- Another sign from God: In 1979, Green fell off a Cincinnati stage and was almost injured badly. He decided it was time to stop performing secular music.
- He cites Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers as major influences.
- He won his first Grammy in 1982 for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Performance for the album The Lord Will Make a Way.
- To delight his female fans on his Summer Tour 2003, Al Green ordered 24 long-stem dethroned roses on stage, which he could distribute. Good thinking taking out the thorns.
Some Of OUR Al Green Favorites