What you need to know about the COVID-19 Outbreak:
What is a coronavirus?
According to the World Health Organization, coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
According to the CDC, patients diagnosed with this coronavirus experience a mild to severe respiratory illness. Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath. Patents with severe complications from the virus often develop pneumonia in both lungs.
How do I protect myself and others?
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19 or medication to directly treat COVID-19. Therefore, the best way to protect yourself is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19. The CDC recommends maintaining personal preventative actions such as:
– Avoiding close contact with those who are sick
– Not touching your eyes, mouth or nose, especially with unwashed hands
– Washing your hands often with soap and warm water for last least 20 seconds
– Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are frequently touched
– Stay home if you are sick
– Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue
There also is no need for members of the general public to wear surgical masks to guard against coronavirus. Individuals should only wear a mask if a healthcare professional recommends it.
CLICK HERE to read full story
LOCAL NEWS: What You Need To Know About The COVID-19 Outbreak was originally published on praisecleveland.com